Expertise in functional food and consumer issues
Dietary modulation farmed fish
Joop Luten is European Business Developer at the Nofima in Norway since October 2003. He was previously head of the Department of Seafood and Aquaculture of the Netherlands Institute for Fisheries Research, a position he has had for more than 15 years.
He has more then 25 years management experience in the area of seafood research. Since the first EU framework programme in the nineties he has been coordinator of a large number of EU projects. He has been organising several important international seafood conferences.
He was responsible for the R&D coordination of the Integrated EU Project SEAFOODplus. In this project the feasibility of enrichement of farmed fish with bioactive selenenium compounds was studied. Joop Luten is now the Vice-President of the SEAFOODplus Research Platform.
He is also coordinating two Nordic NICe projects 'Nordic Network on Marine Functional foods' (MARIFUNC) and the 'Development of innovative seafood concepts for young adults and families with young children (MmmmmSeafood). In this last project several consumers behaviour studies arre carried among consumers with low seafood consumption pattern. He was also coordinating two studies in which the effect of information and messages about farmed fish on the attitude of European consumers was studied.
- E. Schram, Z. Pedrero, C. Camera, J.W. van der Heul and Joop Luten. Enrichement of African catfish with functional selenium originating from garlic. Aquaculture Research 2008, 8-11.
- Luten J.B., E. Schram, Edelvoll E. Tailor made functional seafood for consumers: dietary modulation of selenium and taurine in farmed fish. In: Ø. Lie (Editor): Improving farmed fish quality and safety. Woodhead Publishing Ltd. 2008, 343-362.
- M.Careche, J.B. Luten, A. Kole, R. Schelvis, F- Saura-Calixto, O.E. Scholten, M.E. Diaz-Rubio, M.A.J. Toonen, E. Schram, AJ. Borerias, I. Sanchez-Alonso, P. Carmona, I. Sanchez-Gonzalez, T.R. Gormley, J. Oehlenschläger, D. Mierke-Klemeyer, E.O. Elvevoll, M.L. Nunes, N. Bandearra, I. Stoknes, E.H. Larsen., Developing functional seafood products. In: T. Børresen (Editor). Improving seafood products for the consumer. Woodhead Publishing Ltd. 2008, 331-362.
- Kole, A.P., T. Altintzoglou, R.A. Schelvis-Smit and J.B. Luten. The effects of different types of product information on the consumer product evaluation for fresh cod in real life settings. Food Quality and Preference, 20(2009)187-194.
- E. Schram, R. Schelvis-Smit, J.W. van der Heul, J.B. Luten. Enrichment of African catfish with functional selenium originating form garlic: Effect of enrichment period and depuration on total selenium level and sensory properties. Aquaculture Research. 2009, Accepted for publication.