Institute for Food Technology (FINS) at the University of Novi Sad is one of the leading institutions in food and feed research and dissemination of knowledge in Serbia and the Balkan region. FINS has about 100 employees, half of them are researchers.
Intensive activity in scientific projects at national and international level includes following research fields:
- development of new and improvement of existing food and feed technologies
- assessment of quality of raw materials for food and feed production
- sustainable energy production on basis of agro complex potentials
- energetic efficiency in food and feed industry
- ecological food production and environmental research
- food and feed quality and safety and preservation of traditional food products in the region.
Beside scientific activities the Institute for Food Technology has wide cooperation with food and feed producers in the region. The Laboratory in the Institute is equipped for realization of hundreds of different testing methods including sensory properties, physical characteristics, chemical composition, functional properties, and rheological behaviour and safety aspects of food, feed and other materials and by products in food chain.
FINS has sophisticated equipment, e.g. LC-triple quadrupole MS; LC equipped with DAD, FLD and ELSD; GC-MS; GC-FID, ECD; protein bioanalyser on chip; modular advanced rheometric system (shear, dynamic, oscillatory and extensional rheology), thus bringing it to the level of the best equipped laboratories in the region
The Institute has also several pilot plants including pilot plants for milling, baking, pasta, meat processing, fruit and vegetable drying and feed mixing technologies. Beside research activities FINS conducts intensive activities of cooperation with industry including innovation transfer and stuff education activities and organization of different dissemination events.
The Research Centre FEED-TO-FOOD, specialized for a wide range of issues related to the feed technology is reinforced through EU FP7-REGPOT- 2007- 3 project. This centre has new pilot plant equipment for different technological processes in feed production (a few different grinders and mixers, pellet press, extruder/expander, vacuum coater, fluid bad drier….), and also a big scientific potential in senior and young researchers.
Research Centre FEED-TO-FOOD research interests in last few years were concerned with:
- feed processing ( development of new and upgrading of existing technologies and products)
- working accuracy (carry over, cross contamination)
- food and feed quality and safety
- risk assessment
- utilization of agricultural and food by-products
- quality control
- feed formulation
- environmentally friendlly feeds,
- functional feed,
- sustainability in the food and feed chain.
Scientist involved in COST Action Feed for Health: Jovanka Levic